During the navarathri that just went by, I learnt and made it for the first time and it turned out delicious. It's very simple and easy to make.
Prep time: 3 hours
Cook time: 10 mins
1/2 cup raw rice
1/2 cup urad dhal
A pinch of salt
4 tbsp grated jaggery
1 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4tsp ellaichi powder
Water to dissolve the jaggery
Oil for deep frying
- Wash and soak the rice and dhal together for 3 hours.
- Grind the above into a thick batter adding little salt to taste. Should be lose enough to coat the filling well. Do not add water like you would for idli or dosa batter. Should be of thicker consistency than that.
- Add ghee and switch off heat. Let the filling cool to make them into dumplings.
- Once oil is heated, make small dumplings of the filling, dip in the batter and add to oil for frying.
- Remove from oil when golden brown.
- Tasty suiyan is ready to serve😀