Monday, October 17, 2011

Onion-Tomato Thogaiyal

Back again only after about a week yet feels like ages. Did'nt realise I had been so addicted to blogging until I had to take this break. Well, I should say am not completely back but my jet lag is giving me sometime to blog. Just when I thought I had gotten over it, today my body clock is reminding me that its not yet ready for India:-) Have been up since 2.30AM...all fresh! With all the shopping areas and malls bustling with Diwali fervour, I plan to get out of home at the stroke of 9 and do some good amount of shopping....just the thought of it relaxes me completely.....shopping be it hardcore or window walk, is my all time therapy for de-stressing....LOL!

Did not want to miss out on the blog hop event of this week. So, I tried a recipe of oats-poha idli out of my partner for this week which I will be posting tomorrow. I made a side of "thakali vengaya thogayal" (tomato-onion chutney) and it went perfectly with these super soft idlis! My cutlery's are yet to arrive and you will notice a lot of Indian cutlery's until I set my kitchen!

Ingredients:

- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tbs urad dhal
- a pinch of turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mix of urad dhal, channa dhal and mustard for tempering
- Few curry leaves

Prep time: 15 mins       Cook time: Nil

Preparation:

- Chop the tomatoes and onions into fine pieces.

- In a pan, heat 1/2 tsp oil, add the urad dhal and red chillies and roast them until the dhal turns slightly red in colour.
- Add the onions and tomatoes, salt and turmeric and fry them until the onions turn translucent and tomatoes are mushy.Allow this to cool.
- On cooling, grind them in a mixer or blender without adding any water.

- In a pan, heat the remaining oil and temper the dhals, mustard and curry leaves and top it on the chutney.
- Tasty thogaiyal or chutney is ready to serve with your favourite idli, dosa or chapathi.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Hyma
    Thats so nice to see u back...chutney looks lovely...good one dear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you Hyma.......doing all this despite the jetlag.......Very yummy looking chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. chutney is tempting
    1st time here happy to follow u do visit my space

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy chutney,we do make the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks all...i hope to get back into regular blogging soon..

    ReplyDelete